Suggested Specific Action Steps
The best way to improve CQ is through personalized coaching and training based upon a CQ assessment
The Cultural Intelligence Difference provides dozens of strategies for improving your CQ in the 4 CQ capabilities.
Improving Your CQ-Drive
- Talk to someone who has worked or traveled extensively and ask this person what motivated them.
- Make a list of the tangible benefits you can obtain by improving your CQ.
- Think of your prior successes when interacting with people who have different cultural backgrounds.
Improving Your CQ-Knowledge
- Read a book (such as Culture Shock: Japan) to learn more about a specific culture.
- Attend a talk on the literature or geography of a specific culture.
- Visit a museum and focus on the art of a specific country or culture.
Improving Your CQ-Strategy
- Summarize your knowledge of a particular culture before an interaction with someone with that cultural background.
- Think of things that you might say or do that would make this other person uncomfortable.
- Remain alert during the interaction to see if your expectations were accurate.
Improving Your CQ-Action
- Practice a new behavior so that you become more natural (e.g presenting your business card and obtaining a business card from someone else).
- Role play a specific behavior that differs from your typical style (for example, standing very close or far apart during a conversation).
- Watch others carefully in cross-cultural encounters and mimic their behavior.